Thursday, July 18, 2013

Mommy Dearest


I have to dig around today for something to blog about. Nothing super exciting going on in my life right now. I get up, do chores, drink coffee, then work the rest of the day on the house or picking up hay in the field. Lots to get done and not enough hours to do it.




I have always wanted to blog about my mom. She is really an amazing lady (though we are complete opposites and we butt heads quite a bit).

There are some people who quietly go through life, leaving little kindness imprints where ever they go. Like my favorite quote from Mother Teresa "We can do no great things, only small things with great love." They never truly get recognized for what they do, they just quietly make their mark on this world. Each action they take in life is done pure of heart and their lives are just lived. That is my mother.


A small town, Anaconda, simple girl, she hasn't done anything huge, never had 15 minutes of fame and probably never has wanted for big and fabulous. She is happy to have her family, her friends, her home, and her frappe after work. While she has been many places and dreams of traveling some more, she could take it or leave it because she has all she needs at home. And the familiar is comfortable.

But to me, my mom is so much deeper than that. She has a quiet steady strength (sometimes stubborn). When I was a kid my grandmother was bed ridden with MS. She needed someone to get her up in the morning, bath and dress her, and get her ready for bed at night. My mom never missed a beat, she stood by her mother (for over 10 years) and took care of her until the day she died. With an upbeat, happy, and content just to be alive attitude that both my grandmother and mom shared. My grandmother was never bummed she was sick, she was never down, she loved life, made do with what she was capable of and was always up beat. My mom is the same way, she has told me many times that her greatest influence was her mother. Always full steam ahead and always looking forward to the positive. Even if the positive was considered small to someone else.

My mom has also worked in the same place for over 30 years. The Anaconda Nursing Home. If you can imagine dedicating your career to the care of our elders. My mom has done it in her own upbeat way, she has done the best she can for the people she cares for and she has loved them fully. Small acts of kindness are part of her every day, she does it effortlessly and unselfishly.

I know that she has inspired her co-workers. She is always laughing and having fun. But when it comes down to what matters to her or how she feels, she is a straight shooter. She doesn't lie or sugar coat anything. Sometimes she might not be completely right or she may be misunderstood but she always means well. She isn't the kind of person that really throws herself out there, but she is always there for her friends and family.

She loves to watch the news, and the different publicized trials. She is passionate about what is going on in the world and she is very opinionated. She loves politics, follows all the campaigns and she always votes. She is proud of her right to vote, and her country. Really, she is what this country is made up of, she is part of the core. Simple, strong, hard working, fun loving, family oriented, always dreaming, never giving up on the goodness that lies within people.

I have watched her grow and change through the years and although we dont see eye to eye on everything, her opinions on race, sexual orientation, and acceptance of others has grown and strengthens. I believe we as a whole are slowly changing, baby steps are being made to a better world. With each generation we are becoming more accepting, more loving, better people. And while the bad in this world will never go away, the good isn't going to go away either and it gets stronger.

As I have said before, my mom was there for me for the birth of both of my children. We went to doctors appointments, lamas class together. She walked with me up and down the hall way when I was in labor with my son, and she made sure my toes were painted before I had my daughter. She was the first to hold both children and she cut my daughters umbilical cord. She is my role model on how to be a mother. A mothers love is just there, strong, true, and unwavering.

Though I haven't been a model child (really a walking train wreck), even when I have been at my lowest or not very nice to her she has never turned her back on me. If we disagree or fight we always end up friends again. She has always been the first person I tell anything. She lifts me up when I am at my best and takes pride in me. Sometimes I take that for granted, but I don't know what I would do without her support.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment